Tuesday, April 1, 2008

If you're looking for match-day results, cover your eyes & hit Page Down twice

Had a good day mountain biking after match day. I waited so everyone could see where we matched before posting these pics of our adventure on the San Juan Trail. Better-said the "adventure" my leg took as it ground itself against the 30-grit sandpaper/pebble trail surface for about 20 feet. Since I was going about 25 mph when i hit the 100-foot long, 2-feet deep "rut" I had time to think about what kind of damage was happening to my leg before I fully came to a grinding halt. The grinding was the rock/trail finally passing through the outer layers of tissue and reaching more tough fascia and muscle. Since I'm now 10 days out and three of the gouges are still raw and bleed, I figured I would post the progression of healing for your viewing pleasure. If I get enough positive feedback, I'll post the pictures of the guy's face I pulled 3 pieces of glass out of and then sutured up tonight in the ER.

The crappy thing is that of everything you'll see below, what annoys me the most is that my little finger got tweaked and then swelled up. Still hard to bend it all the way. Bri really didn't care about the leg but was really concerned about the finger since if I lose my hands, Sugar-Momma is gonna have to step it up a bit with the ebay "business" to pay off the student loans (and now the mortgage!).

Luckily Carl had his camera on the trail, enjoy.

Needless to say, I've starting looking into buying arm and leg armor.


Michael had a Van "shower" and we were able to do a good cleaning. Don't worry, my tetanus is up to date.


Here it is after a two days. I'm using the same topical cream they put on severe burn victims so it always stays nice and juicy.


11 days later and looks like the Burn-Unit topical is doing it's job nicely. You can still see the three deep gouges that remain nice and fleshy.


Even the shoulder got in on the action.


Now, three weeks later, an update. Pretty good, huh?


And, lastly, one full month later:

5 comments:

Janice Phillips said...

Narly! Way to go!! I was expecting something much grosser the way you talked about it. Post the ER picks! I love "gross" stuff! Hope your hand is 100% soon...and very exciting about the house...definitely praying for ya'll.

Rob and Tiff said...

That's awesome! However, looking at the pictures reminds me of why I'm a chicken to go mt. biking. I know, I'm a whimp. It's ok, I can handle it.

I'm very impressed with how well the wound is healing. Way to go burn unit ointment!

Good luck with the offer, it sounds like you found what you were looking for. Congratulations.

Janae said...

Oh Dan, that is gross. haha.

It's looking better though.

Cody said...

battle wounds are always good. i bet bri thinks its hot. I must admit im amazed at how well its healing. that stuff you're putting on it must be amazing

Chelsea Anne said...

that's a little yucky.