Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Utah vs. New Mexico

Finally got over the hurdle and started this thing. I have been meaning to do it for so long, but it was always so hard just to start. I commit to doing it regularly from now on, for the rest of my life. Right now, the biggest thing going on is the decision for the rank order list to submit to ERAS. I’ll do a Pro/Con list later, but let’s just say that I’m trying to figure out if this is the point in my life when I’m deciding between family and career. I know family is more important and I have always sought to put it above everything else, but I’m just not sure if ranking Utah first is putting career before family or if putting New Mexico first is necessarily putting family before career. In my mind it would be so, if the hours don’t actually work out to what I thought. I keep thinking about the conversation we had with Kevin and Tony on the first LOTOJA ride and how I had made a commitment to always put family above career. I keep wondering if this is that fork in the road, if this is the test I am being given to choose one over the other.

I’m basing all of this on limited actual data for hours and workload at the two programs, but it seems like it is pretty true when I think about the overall personalities of the two programs. Utah is not malignant, but there is a sense of “you signed up for it, you better believe we’re gonna max out the 80 hours per week.” At New Mexico there is an amazing sense of teamwork and concern for how everyone is doing outside of the hospital.

1 comment:

Rob and Tiff said...

I hope you don't mind that I have discovered your blog as well as your wifes. First, thank you for loving my dad like I love my dad. He is an amazing guy and someone I will definitely try to emulate. I am so thrilled to know that you and Bri have found a connection to our family through him. My dad has such a big heart and I know he see's you two like his own.
I wish you the best in your decision of NM or Utah. It's a big one and one I know we will have to face in a few years.

Tiff