Sunday, July 13, 2008

Bri is Amazing

Bri is sleeping now and before I conk out I wanted to be sure I said how amazing Bri is. She definitely had a goal and a plan, but she was able to change as the situation called for it. She went through 16 hours of something that I have clue about how difficult it is. Then, she kept doing it with some meds another whole day! She is so tough and always kept Caleb's best interests as #1. She says she couldn't have done it without me, but I really have no clue what I did since her part was about a billion times harder and more important. There were so many times over the last two days when I could lay down and rest and while Bri could lay down with the lights out, she still had to deal with the constant pain, tubes, lines and then on top of that, the worries that only a mother would know about. The whole time she was positive and honest and made great decisions as things came up (and PLENTY did).

First Swaddling

Then, at the end, when it came time to push, she was the strongest I've ever seen her. We've done some difficult things on our tandem bike, many of which involve thousands of vertical feet, over 10 hours of hard riding, difficult weather and other challenges. However, I've never seen her as determined, concentrated, nor able to put as much effort into something as when she was pushing. Her epidural was turned way down by that time and even though it was still there, it's easy to tell when someone is doing something painful. Also, feeling it allowed her to better know when to push, she said. She was able to move her legs pretty normally, and her right leg was pretty much normal, she said. If you know Bri, then when I say that I've never seen her put more concentrated effort into something, that is a big deal.

First Bath - Video to Follow

It was the most amazing thing to finally see the half-dollar sized part of the top of his head and as soon as Bri could see it with the mirror, she picked up the intensity. An hour later, we could see more, and then he finally started to crown. We were both bawling when he started to really come. Then, as his head came out, the midwife said, "Ok Bri, reach down and deliver your baby." So, unexpectedly, Bri reaches down and pulls him the rest of the way out (!) up onto her chest. At that point we were both a mess and it was the most amazing and spiritual moment I've ever experienced. I almost didn't want to touch him because I was so in-awe.

More First Bath

Bri came through it rather well, considering some people's experience. With an 8lb 14oz first baby, she only had a 1st Degree perineal tear that was fixed with 1 suture. All of the other stuff that I will NOT describe isn't fun, but I hear it's part of motherhood.

Clean Baby Boy

This experience has made me love and appreciate and admire Bri more than any other time in the 6 and a half years I've known her. She really is the only one like her on the planet. Well, maybe now there's two. Hopefully.

9 comments:

Jessica said...

How beautiful! all I can say is thank you for sharing such a sweet experience with us!You and bri are wonderful and now you can say you have a little bit of you and a little bit of bri in this world. Caleb is a perfect baby, we are you happy for you guys. Jay and Jess

Cody said...

holy cow man. im seriously blown away. Bri is awesome. i cant imagine going through that. your son is so cute. seriously. i cant wait to meet him!

David Hoopes said...

Caleb looks terrific in the new pictures. You hit the nail on the head when you said it was a spiritual high. We appreciated hearing of your experiences through your words and pictures. We are proud of both of your efforts to support each other during this very special time. Caleb is a fortunate baby to have such awesome parents. Love, Mom and Dad

Enjoy Birth said...

Birth is unpredictable, but it is one of the first tests of a mother's love. Seriously a mom will do ANYTHING for her baby. Submit to drugs, surgery, bedrest, 48 hours of birthing time... ANYTHING. You got to see the amazing power of mom love. It is beautiful. You will get to see it many more times in your life. Bri will continue to amaze you. Mom's Rock!

Thanks for sharing your birthing day(s) with us.

Allie said...

Oh my goodness is he beautiful! He is so perfect and so handsome! I can't believe Will's first baby was almost 9 pounds! No wonder her belly was a basketball. Congratulations to an amazing couple. We are ecstatic for yall. He looks so much like you Dan he might just be your clone! He is one lucky boy to have such great parents. Please tell Will that I am so proud of her and I think she is beyond amazing. What an incredible girl. Dan, I loved reading your posts about this experience. It is so obvious that you adore your wife and are such an incredibly supportive husband. Your words are so full of affirmation and validation for an amazing girl, and I am so happy she has you. I am grinning ear to ear to finally see pictures of her with her baby boy in her arms. What a beautiful sight. Thanks for keeping us updated. Tell Mommy Will I love her, Allie

Leake's said...

Welcome to parenthood and welcome to the world, Caleb! You guys rock! Your posts had us checking the blogs every hour and remembering when. A little bit of heaven just arrived. It is truly a moment that can never be taken away from you and to enjoy the experience emotionally is icing on the cake.

These were sweet entries. Thank you for posting. We love you guys! Kevin, Shauna, Jamie and Morgan.

:) Jen said...

Bri you are AWESOME and I am glad Dan lets you know how much he cares, you guys are so blessed and Shad and I wish you the best with your new bundle of joy....I can see Dan in Caleb a lot.....Thanks for sharing such a wonderful time with us, Bri I hope you are so dang proud of yourself....you did GREAT girl :)

Janae said...

Dan,

This was the sweetest blog ever. I got all choked up. What an amazing experience.

He is darling. I just want you guys to know I was checking my google reader every hour for updates from you guys. What a tough process, but what fantastic results! :)

Janae

Hillary said...

Oh my gosh, Dan! I wish I had found your blog BEFORE labor started! This might sound weird to some people, but labor and delivery was probably the best experience I've ever had. I totally understand the feeling more connected to Bri than ever before, the feeling of awe for her, the feelings of respect...I felt the same way about my husband after our first was born and I know that he had those feelings for me, too. Birthing that first baby was the most bonding experience I've ever had, and worth every contraction.

It sounds like you guys are doing great...and you're not that far away from us! If you're ever in our neck of the woods (Colorado Springs), let me know! It would be fun to see you and meet Bri. She's clearly an amazing woman!

Congratulations on Caleb. He's adorable.