4th of July 2005: I poured myself into one of Bri's patriotic old US National Team Jerseys (did I ever mention she went to the Junior World's in downhill mountain biking?) and we took the tandem out on a century.
--
Today was day one and it was weird. No, I didn't kill anyone, but since I was squeezing the O2 bag while some patients got electroshock therapy (they put them under and paralyze them so it's not like "A Beautiful Mind"-and it works!) I definitely could have if the mood struck me. The oddest thing was introducing myself to patients. I'm so used to saying "Hi, I'm Dan" since there's really nothing you can do as a student to not sound or look dorky (goodbye short white coat!). I said that to the first patient this morning and then I realized that I'm supposed to say something else. But when I said "Hi, I'm Doctor H____" to the next patient, it did not roll off the tongue. Makes me feel like I should all of a sudden know something, but I'm really just the same person. Just that now if i screw up I can do some real damage. Maybe someday I'll make the transition from concentrating on not killing people to healing patients.I must not have done too poorly during my first day since the Anesthesiology attending tried to convince me to switch out of Ortho to Anesthesiology. Ehhh, no, sorry. Doing IV's and putting in endotracheal tubes is fun the first day, but first year? The rest of your life? Uh uh. The good thing about being on this Anesthesia rotation for the first month of intern year is that I'll have time to spend with Bri and Caleb (when he finally gets here).
Also, I rode to the hospital again and it took me 22 minutes. It takes me 21 minutes to drive on the freeway, so there's really no reason to drive, even if I'm late! 8 miles on the route I've dialed in. I kinda wish it was longer so I could get a better workout. I can lock my bike up inside a call room, but I'm still worried about my baby. It's such a travesty to put a U-Lock on a Seven. So, day one is over and I guess I'm a real Doctor. Actually, I'm not, since I can't write prescriptions, do a surgery on my own, or earn more than a McDonald's Manager. Some day...
7 comments:
yes, it's really liz. dan-wow! it's been a while! congrats on the baby on the way and on being a dr. now? not really sure if i read that right, but it's 4 am (i'm up for the mid-night feeding)...looks like i've got a lot of reading to do here! glad to be in touch...
Not only are you Dr. now, but in a few days you will be Dad too. Two big roles to start taking
That's neat though, that you can start saying that!
"Makes me feel like I should all of a sudden know something, but I'm really just the same person. Just that now if i screw up I can do some real damage. Maybe someday I'll make the transition from concentrating on not killing people to healing patients." That's an interesting though. I always wondered about that sort of transition--everything you have to learn as a doctor really needs to be learned permanently. I'd never be capable.
Learning how to teach and learning about books is my life now. Making the transition to being a real teacher will be weird, feeling like I was just barely a student. So I can understand how that'd feel weird.
Still cool though :)
*thought,* not "though."
If you want a longer route, go north Tramway, drop down under I-25, proceed to Roy Ave. to 4th St. Take right on Alameda until just after Rio Grande where you hit the bike path. Take the bike path south along river until Tingley Park, at which point, you head east on Lead through downtown back under I-25 until you get to University. This is a ~40 mile loop around the city. Twice daily will put hair on your chest. Now if you could start swimming and running, you'd be a real man!
So this is what we get to look forward to huh? A McDonalds manager salary? Nice. Well Dr. Hoopes Congratulations on completing your first day, I'm sure you're doing awesome.
Hey Dan,
Oh I mean Dr.Dan, How cool is that? I say pretty awesome! If it was jason or myself, we would be throwing around that title all over the place, think of all the important people you could impress! Ha Ha,I know we lack some major class but were always here for some good entertainment!No that is really cool we are sooo proud of you both!If I ever need my brain worked on I know who to come to, anyway it's already so messed up I figure you can't really hurt it. We love ya, we are just waiting to here about little Caleb's arrival. Send my love to Bri, we miss you guys Jess (congrats)
Post a Comment