So, after 16 hours of contractions (Bri dropped the term "pressure waves" when she got sick of them), every 1-2 minutes and only progressing to 2.5 cm, Bri went ahead and decided to get an epidural. She initially felt bad since she wanted to do it naturally, but there will be other chances, and the most important thing is Caleb's health. She was so amazing. The nurses couldn't believe she was being so calm when she had her contractions. Women are screaming down the hall and Bri just goes into her "special place." However, 16 hours with no rest and almost constant contractions are pretty much impossible to bear for anyone and we feel good about deciding to do something that she had initially been against. The best laid plans of mice and men... By the way, Bri had also decided to never marry a snowboarder, to date 12 months before marriage, and thought she was a democrat.
As you can see, she's resting now after 16 hours of physical and mental trevail. Mostly the latter, but plenty of the former. According to the anesthesiologist, the epidural is low dosage and given very slowly so that she can still feel what is going on. She says she can still feel pain with the contractions, but that it is bearable, that she can finally rest, and that she still wants to feel something.
When she asked me if I thought she failed, I said "Of course not! We're not what's important here, it's Caleb, it's all about him." I love her and can't wait to meet this little guy.
6 comments:
Rest is much needed. I didn't begin to dilate until I was fully effaced, so hopefully that will be the case with Bri. Has her water broke? I know multiple people who did absolutely nothing until the water broke, and then they progressed. Everyone is different. The epidural is not a failure. This may be what she needs to avoid a c. Without my epi, I never would have been able to push for 3+ hours- especially since they took away the epi after about an hour of pushing!
Hugs to you! I just saw all the updates. Tell Bri she did awesome! Getting induced is a tough battle and it is MOST important that she gets rest so she has the energy to push Caleb out when the time is right. So rest up!
DO NOT READ THIS TO BRI!
Also, I don't know if you should tell Bri this right now and I don't even know if I should say it, but wanted to tell you in case they want to do more cervix softening agenst.
Misoprostol is the same thing as Cytotec. Do you remeber us talking about that in class? You could do a quick search on the internet and see if you want to have any more of that particular drug.
Cervidil is a much safer option. Though if her cervix is nice and soft now, Bri is probably ready for or on pitocin and doesn't need any more cervix ripeners.
Hugs!
Tell Bri she rocks! You can always read the change of plan script if she wants. :)
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Praying for you guys!!
Oh that just makes me want to cry. We all know how much she wanted to do it natural but it really is all about getting him here safely. She is such an amazing woman! So nice that she can now get some rest. I'll keep checking in for the big news!
Bri- I think you are absolutely amazing.....far stronger than I. I have been following your progress since you went in last night, praying for you. I was reminded of my experience when Zachary was born when I read your dad's comments. I to like to be in control, and had my own plans. Little did I know that one month prior to my due date, he would break my water with one foot down the birth canal, the other leg with his knee to his chest, in a breech position, requiring a emergency c-section. I remember calling my mom and telling her I was pretty sure I was leaking fluid, her telling me to call the doctor. I said No, I am not having this baby with out Jon (who was in Hong Kong on an interview), that was even before I knew there was a c-section ahead. I finally agreed to call the doctor, who told me to go directly to the hospital. I reluctantly went with my sister and brother in law. Upon arrival, and a quick examination everything went into high gear, and I was told I had to have a c-section....sooner than later. I said no way, I didn't even pay attention to that part of the class, my mother never had one, I am not prepared for that, and I thought the doctor said it was to early, and if I started labor while Jon was on his trip they could hold off the delivery until he returned, (it was my doctor that gave Jon the green light to go). Long story short, I had Zachary before Jon even knew I went to the hospital. The entire process was out of my control, which my mother believed was the Lords way of teaching me that I can not always be in control, and I had to do this without Jon..... Although I will say my sister was great and by my side the entire time. Ron was able to finally reach Jon and congratulate him on the birth of his son. All went well in the end, and regardless of how they get here the most important thing is your little one. You will sacrifice anything for their well being. Like your dad said giving up our will, is sometimes the hardest thing. .
Hang tough and now maybe at least with the epidural you can get some needed rest and enjoy the process. You are in our prayers!
okay, seriously? bri could never be a failure in my book-her even wanting to try labor and delivery without modern medicine's interventions makes her superwoman in my book. this comes from a twice-sectioned mommy who welcomed the numbness (even before i knew the cesarean was coming). wanting to FEEL everything? wow. kudos. can't wait to see the little dude!
Post a Comment